All You Need to Know About Penetration Testing
Penetration testing is a procedure to recognize the security vulnerabilities in different applications through evaluation of network or system with different malicious techniques. With the help of the authorized stimulated attack, it is easy to exploit the weak points in the procedure. Penetration testing is vital to protect the critical data and information from hackers and other outsiders who will be able to authorize the system with illegal access.
Reason for vulnerability?
The causes of vulnerability may be due to several reasons like development and design errors, human errors, complexity, user inputs, lack of training to staff, poor system configuration, connectivity, passwords, management, and communications.
Why do you need Penetration Testing?
Everyone might have heard of the Wannacry Ransomware Attack that started in May 2017. The severe attack locked more than two lakhs computers across the globe and huge demand through Bitcoin cryptocurrency was made to provide the remedy.
Apart from this, there are many cyber-attacks happening at present, which means you should incorporate penetration testing as a routine task to secure your information and data against these type of security vulnerabilities and breaches.
Some of the crucial reasons why you need Penetration testing includes:
- To detect the system’s loophole.
- To meet the security compliance information in the enterprises.
- Critical or financial data needs protection, when transferred over the network or between various systems.
- To protect the information and data of the users.
- To assess the impacts of powerful attacks in the business.
- To execute a useful and vital security strategy in the enterprises.
- Many clients prefer asking for ethical hacking as a part of the software release cycle.
What needs penetration testing?
- Software which includes 3rd party services (APIs), operating system, and applications.
- End-user behavior.
What are the different Penetration testing stages?
- Planning and Reconnaissance: Defined test goals and gathered Intelligence.
- Scanning: The tools are scanned, and this is used for understanding the target response to the intrusions.
- Gaining Access: Various attacks in web applications are staged to reveal the vulnerabilities in the targets.
- Maintaining Access: To check if the vulnerability is used for achieving the exploited system’s persistent presence.
- Analysis: The penetrations test results are compiled together with the detailed report like accessed sensitive data, exploited vulnerabilities, and more to secure against the upcoming attacks as well as to patch the targeted vulnerabilities.
What are the various Penetration testing Methods?
- Social Engineering Test: The test is done through the internet and phone targeting certain employees, processes, and help desks. The test is done to reveal the sensitive and valuable information like critical data in business, passwords and more.
- Web Application Test: Analyzes the security vulnerabilities of different software programs and web apps.
- Network Service Test: Done remotely or locally to check the type of security vulnerability.
- Physical Penetration Test: Different robust physical security methods are implemented to secure valuable information and data.
- Client Side test: Helps to exploit security vulnerabilities in client-side web apps and software programs.
IntellectFaces is the top-notch advanced Data Analytics and IT company that offers unique Penetration testing service for their customers. Contact us.